Student teachers who fail edTPA may retake the assessment by submitting one task or the entire portfolio. Submitting revised and edited versions of portfolio parts, including commentary, is not permitted (www.edtpa.com).
Approaches to retaking edTPA vary depending on specific deficiencies. However, an analysis of one example1 for special education shows some general considerations for earning additional points.
For example, comparing an original and new commentary response shows
- Additional description – increasing word count
- Use of handbook terms and concepts – pre-assessment, baseline data, rubric
- Quantitative results – reporting standardized test and pre-assessment scores
- Articulation of effective practice – chunking content, having students revise work
1. All student details, such as standardized test scores and names of tests – along with other background information – have been changed to ensure anonymity. Original and new responses shared with permission of the author.